Saturday, June 13, 2009

Getting down to business in Misuku

So this Andrew character, he’s ‘working’ in Malawi eh? What does that really mean?

I’m working for the Misuku Coffee Cooperative which is part of the Mzuzu Coffee Union. I described previously the gist of my job here as I understood it from back in Canada but it has since evolved and clarified a bit. My work plan involves 3 facets right now but is meant to be pretty dynamic to adjust to evolving circumstances and needs.

First, this is a cultural exchange. I’m here to learn about Malawians and their livelihoods. I’m here to learn about coffee growing. I’m here to learn some new skills. And everyone I meet certainly wants to speak to learn something from me as well! Whether I’m learning about the labor that goes into primary coffee processing to share with friends back home or their thinking on gender in development is being stretched, both sides have much to gain.

Second, I’m assisting the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) team from the Union (that’s Robert’s group) with facilitation of farmer group self-assessments to investigate the effectiveness of records, planning and organization in all aspects of their coffee business. The structural assessments I spoke of before are embedded in this task.

Third is capacity building with staff. The areas identified so far are computer skills, communication skills (ex. reporting), presentation skills and general M&E attitudes.

Currently my focus is on the learning side as I get to know my environment. This has led to lots of field work and the 2 field stays. So far I’ve not yet settled in with a full-time family as I’ve been jumping around. I’m based out of the co-op guest house but the plan is to move out within the next few days.

Aside from that I also have a certain background agenda as well which is basically as follows: have positive impact wherever and however possible! This means keeping my eyes open, looking for gaps to fill, capacity to build, systems to enhance, and essentially identify leverage points to create some constructive change somewhere between the coffee seedling and the manager. Whatever I can come up with will be formed into a bit of an impact plan or change project to be integrated into my general plans above. This is partly where the dynamic nature of my work plan comes into play.

My co-workers here at the Misuku Cooperative are:
Isaac Nyondo, Cooperative Development Manager (CDM)
Maclean Nyasulu, Cooperative Accounts Associate (CAA)
Levi Siyame, Cooperative Extension Training Associate – Misuku West (CETA)
Mwakambonje Msukwa, CETA – Misuku East/Centre
Mr. Manda, Stores Clerk
A third CETA and a senior managing CETA will also be joining us here shortly.

And how’s that all going for you?
So far the language has posed some barriers making me feel like I’m not getting the full picture despite efforts by my friends in the office to translate. Although the focus is on learning right now to become integrated into the community and understand farmer realities I’m feeling an imbalance with the office work. A big part of my work will involve the co-op itself of course so I need to begin taking more initiative to help and search out leverage points there – I’ve only got 9 weeks left here after all! I’m hoping to be able to eventually start integrating and work on the boundary between the co-op and the farmers. Overall though I’m pretty happy and feel quite welcomed and appreciated by all the staff and farmers I talk to.

0 Comments:

 

Overcoming poverty is not a gesture of charity. It is an act of justice. - Nelson Mandela

If we are to have any hope of success we require an approach of constructive humility. - Eric Dudley